Sunday, September 7, 2008

Financial Peace






So a couple weeks ago I found myself somewhere between "Why am I not wearing orange and blue right now, running down the streets in Gainseville, chanting "GATORS are #1!" and high-fiving people I have never met before or sitting in my kitchen with the girls and discussing important issues like "which girl we are more like in sex in the city?" or "finishing another crossword puzzle during class today" but instead I am sitting in a conference with my husband (ya that still sounds weird) learning how to manage debt and plan for the future of our family. WHAT?!? So its true, Seth and I went to Dave Ramsey, the financial genius. Pretty interesting story he has though: millionaire right out of college at about age 24 from selling real estate and then by age 28 he found himself at rock-bottom, filing bankruptcy. So through his dreadful experience he decided no other person should go through such an awful time and with that he has created "Financial Peace University". Today he is certainly back on top, lets just say he is doing a little better than he even was at 24 and he hasnt had a FICO score in years. (Thats that silly score every talks about you need to build and have a really good one so you can buy lots of things and apply for more money and loans, etc.) Anyway, we learned a lot of useful things from Dave and the truth is I felt far too much like a true adult and it was a little scary.  But I do know we will have a true college fund for our kids, whenever that time comes (in like 30 years)!!



No comments: